Adventures of Alex O & Co

Adventures of Alex O & Co
You only live once......................live beautifully!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Raw Lemon Cheesecake

Since August last year my family has changed what we eat. We try not to eat meat, wheat, dairy, and sugar 90% of the time.
This has taken me on a journey to find new foods to eat. In December last year my husband (Mr O) and I went on a raw foods desserts course with Renata from  the company FROM GREY TO GREEN (http://www.fromgreytogreen.co.nz/). We learnt how to make some great desserts for christmas.

However I did not have a recipe for a raw Lemon Cheesecake so I went searching online and I found a great dessert that I have tweaked a bit and now it is perfect for us.
Friends came over Saturday night so I just had to make one.
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
CRUST
1 1/2 cups of Nuts (your choice of nut but I prefer Almonds but you could use Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Cashews).
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/2 cup pitted Dates (soaked in hot water for about 15 minutes to soften and then drain off water)
1/4 cup shredded Coconut

FILLING
3 cups of raw Cashews (Soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours then drained and rinsed)
1 1/4 cups of fresh Lemon juice
3/4 cup of Maple Syrup
3/4 cup Coconut Oil (Liquid form)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest of Lemon (optional) I have a juicer so I juice my lemons whole with the skin on so I don't need to add any zest.

Method:
* For the crust: Process the nuts into small pieces with the salt in a food processor. Slowly add Dates and mix well, then mix in Coconut. Press crust into the bottom of a cheesecake dish or pan (8 to 9-inch size pan), and place in refrigerator until needed.

*For the filling: Blend Cashews, Lemon Juice, Maple Syrup, Coconut Oil, and Vanilla (and Lemon Zest , if using), in your blender/ food processor until it blends to a smooth creamy mix.
Pour onto the crust in the dish and place in the freezer for about two hours until firm. Then refrigerate until serving.
It keeps for about 5-10 days if you have not eaten it all by then.

For those people who love Lemon it is a slice of heaven.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment